Tuesday, September 19, 2006

CYCC BLOG

Most of my life I have been told that I speak well and that I am very personable. So you might think that having to do interviews would not be that big of a deal to me. But just like almost everyone else I know, I lack the self confidence that other people might think I have. I was trying to figure out what it was that bothered me so much about interviews. I believe in this case it is the idea that I don't have the knowledge about these types of situations and interviews that is making me doubt myself. However, I realized that I am not suppose to have this knowledge yet and that is what this course is all about. So I have to accept that I don't have control over this situation and just open myself up to the learning aspect and simply do the best job I can. Yes it might be difficult and embarassing, but this is what I want so I have no doubt I will be able to make it through alive.

As far as my communication style goes, I think it really depends on where I am and who I am with. According to the communication quizes we did in class I am an assertive communicator with a little bit of passivness mixed in. But as I thought of what the people who really know me might say about my style if asked, it would most certainly not be passive. I feel I have toned down a lot over the last five or eight years, simply due to maturing and experiences. But I think that I have a lot more agression in my communication with the people who know me well. This is sad really and I would like that to change. Just because you feel safe with someone doesn't mean you should treat them with any less respect, which is what I feel agressive communication is doing. Hopefully I will learn a lot more about that in this course and be able to really apply it in all aspects of my life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin Rebecca said...

Who is this?

10:53 AM  
Blogger mamma james said...

I was wondering the same thing! Here's a thought...is honesty and passion the same as aggression?

8:01 PM  
Blogger John and Sara said...

I assume this is Peter, he said he was going to use this blog for a course at school...anyhow, if it was Peter I think his quiz said the truth about his style of communication, assertive does not mean aggressive necessarily, and he/you (Peter) are assertive for the most part in your conversing, but then as you well know, lack of confidence (or being grouchy) results in passivity, not saying what you are fully thinking/feeling, figuring you don't quite know what you are thinking, so it clams you up....and passivity can acutally be more aggressive in nature than assertiveness...interesting, anyhow, my kids are needing my attention so I shall go and attend to them, as well as finish getting my house in order for John's return, if this is Peter, I love you and hope you are having a good day today.

sara

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home