Wednesday, June 06, 2007

taking money from street people

Yes it is true, I did this! I went to Safeway tonight because it is 10% off Tuesday, and there was a street person at the door asking for some change. I had none and was in need of a quarter myself to get a cart. So he offered me one. I took it. It was really was something, I felt very strange. I said I would get him on my way out, but still I thought it very good of him to do that.
I got a pretty big load of food (we were pretty bare back at the apartment, as usual) and I knew I would feel strange again when I passed him on the way out with such a load. So I did give him a good tip and made sure he even got his quarter back, but it was all quite a different experience for me. I liked it though. Think I might do it more often. I got a "God bless" you out of it too. Hope He does. (more)
As for my previous post. I had asked my assistant coach that, and he said there was no way he could do that and that there was no way my dad could either. I begged to differ with him, so we put 20$ on it. And when we asked my dad, there was no hesitation. "You are gone". But he did add that it was only because he knew where I was going. I love cashing in on my fathers convictions! I think that if I was given time to sit down and think it through, I would do the same. But if I came upon my son and someone else drowning, my reaction would be to go for my son for sure. Now, some other guy who was in on the conversation said that God would never ask you to do something like that, and if He did that he wouldn't want to serve a God like that. I mention Abraham, but he said that was the old testament and that it wouldn't happen under the new covenant. Is that true? I didn't think it was, but am much to unlearned to say why I didn't think so. Both these guys are believers just to let you know.
There is no way I think I could ever blame them, and maybe I couldn't actually do it either, but that is my thinking at the moment. I think it would be the right thing to do. I mean, we are not meant for this world, we are just strangers in a strange land. (Bob) And Amy, it is just saving their lives, but in order to give them a chance to have there spirits saved. Clearer?

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

That IS weird. I have found it to be true in my own experience that the less I have the more I don't mind giving it away. So I'm not surprised that street guy was so quick to part with his quarter.

On the other hand, I have also found it true that street people who sit and ask for money don't always have as little as it first appears.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back - keep us 'posted' on your experiences. Don't know how I would react about children - guess you have to be there - my first instinct is my own!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have found myself pondering your child-saving question quite a bit ... and I haven't once found myself being able to let my own child die in favor of saving another. I would have to have clear (and I mean CLEAR) instruction AT THAT TIME from God before I would be able to even consider it. He's given me kids to protect and nurture and raise. He would have to verbalize a new mandate before I would deviate to looking after someone else's kids over my own. If He did convey a new mandate and ask me to sacrifice my kids i would try my best to comply. As far as not wanting to serve a God who would ask this of me ... I've been through enough with God to believe that no matter what ... He IS A GOOD GOD. He IS trustworthy. No matter how it might look or seem to the contrary. He has a much bigger picture than me and I can trust Him. I like that I have come to that place. It wasn't always so clear for me (and I'm sure now that I've stated it publicly Satan will ask to test me again on the issue...) oh boy.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats just plain funny. (the street people thing, not the whole letting yor own kids die thing) (although, having someone think that I thought that letting your kid die is funny, could be funny) (Im stopping now before I get into trouble) Mark

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home